Windows Update Error 80072ee2 Solved in Simple Steps – Windows updates are necessary but they often cause frustration in users, especially when updates do not get installed properly or when you get the Windows 80072ee2 error.
What is Windows 80072ee2 error?
The Windows 80072ee2 error code is one of the most commonly seen update errors. This error code signifies “ERROR_INTERNET_TIMEOUT”. Many times you may get an error message such as “Windows could not search for new updates” or such as “Windows Update encountered an unknown error”.
Do not worry if you notice this error as we have outlined the top tricks to solve Windows Update Error 80072ee2 in simple steps:
Solved – Windows Update Error 80072ee2 In Simple Steps
Method 1 – System Restart
Restarting your system once is one of the most common solutions for many errors, including Windows Update error 80072ee2 as well. This is especially true if you have not restarted your system from some time.
Method 2 – Windows 10 Update Troubleshooter
Running Windows Update Troubleshooter for Windows 10 and similar OS can help to solve Windows Update error 80072ee2 easily.
Here’s how to run Windows 10 Update Troubleshooter to solve Windows Update error code 80072ee2 in simple steps:
- Open ‘Control Panel’
- Select the ‘Troubleshooting’ option
- Go to ‘System and Security’ choice
- Click on ‘Windows Update’ from the drop-down list
- Click on ‘Next’ once the Troubleshooting panel pop up
- If any issues can be fixed, you will need to click on ‘Apply this fix’ (else choose to move to the next part of troubleshooting)
Method 3 – Edit Windows Update Registry
Normally it is highly advised to avoid accessing the Windows Registry section as the database of system settings is stored here. However, you can try to manually make certain changed in the registry to solve Windows update error 80072ee2.
Check out the simple steps to solve windows error 80072ee2:
- Press Windows + R on your keyboard
- Type – regedit – in the search bar and click on ‘OK’
- Once the Registry Editor opens, press CTRL+F
- Next, search for – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Update
In case the results return empty, you can locate the file manually too. Once you find the relevant registry files, you will need to:
- Check for WUServer and WUStatusServer registry keys in the right-hand panel
- In case you find these files you will need to delete them.
- Return to Windows Services and check if Windows Update is now running smoothly
- If not, restart the Windows Services manually
Method 4 – System File Check
If despite trying the above 3 tricks you still see the Windows Update 80072ee2 error, you will need to use Windows System File Check (SFC) which analyzes system settings for corrupt system files.
It is advisable to check if your SFC is functioning completely. To do this, you can use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool in the Windows Utility section. In this, you can choose the DISM Restorehealth command to make sure that this troubleshooting works efficiently.
To do this, follow the simple steps:
- Open Start Menu, click on the search bar and type in – Command Prompt (Admin) – before right-clicking on it and selecting the ‘Run as Administrator’ option
- Once an advanced command prompt pops up, type in – DISM/online/cleanup-image/restorehealth – and hit ENTER
- It may take around 15 to 20 minutes for the command to get executed (determined by your system health status) and it is highly advised to wait for the process to get completed
- Once the process is completed, you will need to type in – sfc/scannow – and hit ENTER
Method 5 – Windows Reset
If the above 4 troubleshooting tricks do not work, then you can resort to Reset Windows 10 to help refresh Windows system files. A Windows Reset works by replacing your old system files with a new set of files and this can resolve issues, especially those relating to ‘SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION’ error.
To perform Windows Reset, follow these simple steps:
- Open ‘Settings’
- Choose ‘Update and Security’
- Click on ‘Recovery’
- Select ‘Reset This PC’ option
- Click on ‘Get Started’
It is highly recommended to make a backup of any important files before you perform a Windows Reset. Once your system restarts, you can choose to remove all system files by selecting ‘Remove everything’ option or you can choose to restore old files by clicking on ‘Keep my files’ option.
Try these 5 methods to solve Windows Update error 80072ee2 sequence-wise as given above. One of these tricks is sure to solve the error code and help you to finally update your system. Hope all these will help you in troubleshooting the Windows Update Error 80072ee2. We are waiting for your valuable feedback and your experiences about the error and How to Fix troubleshooting steps.