ZIP files are extremely useful. We all have used these at some time in the past and many continue to use it every day. Converting your normal files into a ZIP format is immensely helpful. You can use it when you wish to archive a large-sized file or when downloading a portable app and even to send big attachments in files to someone.
However, converting into a ZIP file merely compresses your file to be sent faster or take up less storage space. As these could often contain personal and private or confidential information the ZIP files are also recommended to be password-protected.
Why should you choose to add/create password protect to ZIP files on Windows?
There are two main reasons that you should add or create password-protect ZIP files on Windows. These are the 2 reasons why it is important to add/create password-protect to Windows:
- Added Security for Storage – When you choose to add or create password-protection for your ZIP files you are inherently adding another layer of security to them. The compressed ZIP files may contain private information or classified details that you do not wish unauthorized persons to see. You can always rest assured knowing that your archived ZIP files’ data is completely secure with the default Windows security feature and the password-protect you installed in addition. This protects your sensitive information even in case your PC account is hacked or if you lose the hard disk.
- Increased Protection during Transmission – Compressing large-sized files into ZIP format to send over emails is common. Files are also compressed into ZIP form to upload heavy apps on to websites and online platforms too. Most often, the ZIP files sent over email are confidential especially when related to work. Apart from the standard level of security provided by your email company you can easily choose to add another layer of security by adding or creating a password-protect for the ZIP files before sending them through email.
Ways to Create/Add Password Protection to ZIP Files on Windows
Check out the top 5 ways to create/add password-protect to ZIP files on Windows OS:
Create/Add Password Protect ZIP Files using PeaZip
PeaZip is completely free encryption software which can easily create or add password protection to ZIP files on your Windows system. You can choose to encrypt access to individual files or entire folders.
Once you have downloaded and successfully installed PeaZip, follow these steps to add and create password-protect to ZIP files on Windows using PeaZip:
- Select the file/folder you wish to put the password-protection on
- Press right-click on the file/folder, scroll down to PeaZip
- Click on ‘Add to archive’ button
- Next, select ‘Enter password/key file’ option
- Enter the password you wish
- Click on ‘OK’ to confirm
- Once again, click on ‘OK’ to finalize your changes
These 7 simple steps will not only help you to encrypt files but you can also choose to encrypt entire folders too. It is efficient to place the files that require encryption protection to be placed into a single folder which can then be altogether compressed and encrypted. It is also recommended to remember your password. There are times when you may forget the password to access the encrypted ZIP files, hence it is highly recommended to create a back-up of the non-password protected file or folder before you encrypt it.
Create/Add Password-Protect ZIP Files using Windows XP
Windows XP is the only OS which currently allows users to encrypt compressed files. This feature is not available in the Windows 7, Windows Vista and other versions.
Follow the simple step-wise guide to add/create password-protect to ZIP files on Windows using Windows XP:
- Click on the ‘My Computer’ icon
- Select ‘Windows Explorer’ app
- Select the file you wish to encrypt and double-click on it to open it first
- Click on the ‘File’ button from the Menu Bar on the top of your screen/window
- Click on the ‘Context’ menu
- Select ‘Add a password’ option and click on it
- Once a new window pops up you need to enter the desired password into the empty field twice
- Click on ‘OK’ to confirm your decision and apply the changes
These 8 easy steps help to add or create password protection on ZIP files in your Windows XP system.
Create/Add Password-Protect ZIP Files using WINRAR
WINRAR is probably one of the most popular file compressing and encryption software available in the market today.
You will only need to download this free app first. Now, check out the easy steps to add or create password-protect on ZIP files on Windows using WINRAR app:
- Go to the file you wish to have password-protection on and press right-click on it
- Select the ‘Add to archive’ option from the drop-down menu
- Once the Archive Names and Parameters window opens, click on the ‘General’ tab from the menu bar on top
- Choose the name you wish to save the archived/compressed file as, before choosing to tick the ‘ZIP’ option from the left-hand panel under ‘Archive Format’ heading.
- Once you have made the two changes, click on the ‘Set password’ button at the bottom of the screen.
- You will be asked to enter the password twice
- Next, click on ‘Ok’ to confirm your changes and then on ‘Ok’ again (in the next panel) to apply the changes
These 7 steps make it increasingly easy to add or create password-protect ZIP files on Windows systems.
Create/Add Password-Protect ZIP Files using 7-Zip Utility
The 7-Zip Utility is one of the best and most popular add-ons to create or add password-protection to ZIP files on Windows 7, Windows Pro and Windows Vista, etc.
Ensure to download and install this free 3rd-party software to successfully compress and encrypt your ZIP files for safe storage and transmission.
Once you have installed the 7-Zip Utility app you will need to follow these simple steps to add/create password-protect to ZIP files on Windows:
- Go to the file/folder you wish to add password-protection to
- Press right-click on the targeted file and scroll your mouse pointer to ‘7-Zip’ option
- Once the sliding panel opens to the side, select ‘Add to archive’ option from the list
- Once the ‘Add to archive’ panel opens, you can choose to keep the default filename as ZIP file title or you can type in a new name
- Next, click on ‘ZIP’ as the format for archived files from the ‘Archive Format’ option
- Next, on the ‘Encryption’ panel to the right-hand side, you will need to enter the new password twice
- Once you have finished entering the password twice, you will simply need to click on the ‘OK’ button at the bottom of the dialogue box to confirm and apply your changes
This is an extremely easy and free way to add/create password-protect ZIP files on Windows.
Create/Add Password-Protect ZIP Files using WinZip
WinZip is undoubtedly one of the most popular archiving and compressing software today. it is also available in two different versions. Find out the easiest ways to add/create password-protect ZIP files on Windows using WinZip software:
(When using WinZip Default View)
- Once you open WinZip check under the ‘Actions’ pane and click on the ‘Encrypt’ button to toggle it
- Once the dialogue box open, you can browse through your system and select the particular files you wish to add to the new ZIP file
- Next, enter the password as the ‘Encrypt’ dialogue box gets displayed
- Finally, choose to ‘Save’ the ZIP file on your system
(When Using WinZip Classic View)
- Click on the ‘Setting’ button
- Select ‘Conversion Settings’ option from the drop-down menu
- Click on the ‘Encryption’ tab to choose the encryption level
- Begin to add the files you wish into the ZIP file/folder
- Once the ‘Encrypt’ dialogue box opens, enter your new password
- Once done, choose to ‘Save’ the new password-protected ZIP files on your system
These are the top ways to create/add password-protect ZIP files on Windows systems. Use these methods and steps to ensure that your personal and confidential information always remain safe and secure in storage and in transmission as well. These simple steps can efficiently add security to your data and decrease your stress.