Taking notes is efficient, effective and reflects your love for being organized. Whether it be school, college or work, note taking becomes increasingly important for a well-organized schedule. Today, with increasing reliance on smartphones and computers, it is sensible to take notes on your electronic devices.
An ideal note-taking app needs to have an excellent internal organization system, with clearly labeled tags, folders and notebooks. In addition, today’s note taking apps need to have a significantly strong search engine that can easily filter through handwriting and images too.
So here’s a look at the best note taking the app for Mac users in 2019:
The Simplenote note-taking app for Mac is one of the most popular ones available. Its highly simplistic design and layout are very easy and efficient for use. What it might lack for in terms of bulky features, Simplenote makes up for it with increased efficiency and speed.
Simplenote collaborates with other organizing apps easily and syncs and updates throughout whenever changes are made at one location. The slider function is excellent if you wish to recover past versions of your notes as these are automatically stored in the database.
- Minimalist design
- Simple user interface
- Syncs with all devices
- Some users may find the design too simple for their taste
- Does not add image or other media
- No test formatting available
Evernote is one of the best notes taking app for Mac users today. It allows you to quickly type in notes and organize them accordingly into notebooks. The notebooks can be synced with another device easily. Free users get 60 MB of cloud storage space to upload files.
With Evernote, you can easily copy images and even webpages. You can also search for texts in the images and easily share your work with other users by using it as a collaborative tool. You can always choose to upgrade from the basic version to the Evernote Plus or the Evernote Premium version to use a plethora of new and innovative features.
- Cross-platform compatibility
- Online use possible
- Browser extensions available
- Efficient search engine
- The free plan contains limited features
- Monthly subscription might seem expensive for some users
OneNote is another of the best notes taking app for Mac users. This Microsoft product brings similar features and layout that reminds one of Microsoft Office app and software. With OneNote, you can easily take notes by typing, writing or even drawing using the free-form pen. Immensely efficient organizational tools help keep planning simple and effective.
OneNote allows users to access their latest and most updated notes from other compatible (and synced) devices easily. With OneNote, you can also automatically crop an image from a slideshow or whiteboard or a PPT presentation as well as record audio notes at the tap of a button.
- Compatible with Apple Watch, Google Chrome and other popular browsers
- Syncs easily with all devices
- Loads of features to customize formatting and design of notes
- The simple organization lacks quick tagging feature
- Difficult to navigate through notebooks, sections and pages
- Search engine lacks significant power
Notebook, by Zoho, is one of the better notes taking app for Mac. It allows users to create simple checklists, assign cards for stories with inline images all through the text notes. Users can also create sketch cards for simple doodling and even record audio cards on their own.
In addition, Notebook offers excellently smooth use too. Incredible features allow users to organize their notes into notebooks, copy, record, and group them accordingly for easier and faster browsing and searching when needed.
- Bright and appealing design
- File, sketch, audio, image, checklist and test cards
- Cross-platform compatibility
- Use choice images to customize every notebook cover
- Notebook cover art needs improvement
- Not efficient for collaborative note-taking
Bear is another wonderful and efficient notes taking app for Mac users today. It is extremely easy to use and highly flexible at the same time. You can use Bear for quick note-taking or for extensive essay-writing. Use the innovative markup feature to import images, links, etc into your notes. The ‘Focus Mode’ allows users to write notes effortlessly for a long time.
Bear also comes with customizable typography and themes that you can choose according to your taste. Immense editing tools are available for excellent editing and formatting of your notes. Although the app comes in the free version which is basic, the paid version contains an immense variety of excellent features with it.
- Allows importing notes from other note-taking apps
- Easy-to-use design for faster functionality
- Simple user-interface for added efficiency
- Export files as JPEG, PDF and in other popular formats
- Supports Markdown
- Limited for use with iOS and Mac
- Requires paid plan to sync with other devices
‘Notes’, is one of the best note-taking apps for Mac from Apple. It is designed for simple note-taking. Although seemingly very simple, it packs one of the most powerful search engines that make it highly-efficient to search for relevant notes quickly. Although it might not have features to organize your notes in different categories, notebooks and hashtags, users find it easy to search with the omnipresent search bar on top.
Using Notes, you can easily make basic checklists, insert images and also customize your text format. You can also allow other Notes users to see your checklists and also edit them if need be.
- Use Apple Pencil to write notes or draw sketches
- Organize notes in relevant folders
- Pin important notes to the top of the list
- Use the camera to scan documents
- Only available for Mac and iOS
- Simplistic note-taking interface
- Basic text formatting options
These are the top 6 of the best note-taking app for Mac users in 2019. Choose the best-suited notes-taking app from this and organize your studies and work in the best possible way now.